The Freedom of Information Act (2000) gives you the right to see the recorded information we hold. However, there are a few exceptions – most importantly, around personal data relating to an individual, which we can't share.

Freedom of Information promotes more openness among public authorities, including educational institutions in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Publication Scheme

One requirement of the Act is to publish and maintain a publication scheme. It sets out groups of information that we must make accessible. The scheme is expanded into a publications list, which identifies the documents that hold the relevant information.

We’re busy redesigning our website and this section is still a work-in-progress – but you can still find all the relevant, up-to-date details using the links below.

A group of people in formal wear socialising at an event

Publication Scheme

View our Publication Scheme

You can access hard copy and online versions of documents in these 7 classes of information:

  • Who we are and what we do
  • What we spend and how we spend it
  • What our priorities are and how we are doing
  • How we make decisions
  • Our policies and procedures
  • Lists and registers
  • The services we offer

Make a Freedom of Information request

If you can't find the information you need in our Publication Scheme, you can ask us to provide it. All requests have to be in writing, and asking by email is fine.

You need to include details of the information you're requesting, along with your name, your email address (if you have one) and your postal address for any future correspondence.

If your request relates to any of our subsidiary companies, please send your request to:

Name: The Company Secretary

Address: [Subsidiary Company Name],
University of Portsmouth,
Winston Churchill Avenue,

Tel: +44 023 9284 3195

Send your request to Freedom of Information

What you'll get and when

We can usually give you the information you ask for within 20 working days of receiving your request. If it's going to take us longer, we'll acknowledge your request, let you know if we hold the information you want, and tell you when we'll reply in full.

If we can't give you some or all of the information you ask for, we'll tell you why. Usually, it will be because it falls under one of these exemptions:

  • the information relates to another person
  • it has health and safety implications
  • it's published elsewhere
  • it's part of an investigation we're carrying out
  • its disclosure might prejudice any law enforcement action
  • it's in our commercial interest not to release the information


500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

We’re busy redesigning our website and this section is still a work-in-progress – but you can still find all the relevant, up-to-date details using the links below.

If you're unhappy with the response

If you don't get the information you requested, you can complain to the Vice-Chancellor, in writing. In your letter, you'll need to explain why you think we should provide the information.

Send your letter to:

University House,
Winston Churchill Avenue,

If your complaint is not upheld but you still believe we should provide the information, and for more details, you can contact the Information Commissioner.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close