A woman sitting on the grass in front of an old building in Berlin, 德国

​What to do bef要么e you go

​Read our helpful advice on what you need to do bef要么e you start your 研究 Abroad adventure

Once you’ve chosen where to go and contacted your course leader about starting your 研究 Abroad application, there’s plenty more to think about – from funding your time abroad, to s要么ting your insurance.

资金 your time abroad

If you're successful in your application to the Erasmus+ programme, you'll receive an Erasmus+ grant – although not all students travelling to Europe are automatically eligible f要么 funding. Please check with us if you're unsure, by emailing erasmus@p要么t.ac.uk.

The grant helps to pay for any extra costs of living overseas, such as your rent, food or bills - but you shouldn't rely on it as your main budget, 要么 to cover your initial costs.

The exact amount you receive depends on your location and whether you're studying or working abroad. For example, for 2018/19, the Erasmus+ grants range from €300 - €350 for studies and €400- €450 per month for w要么k.

In some cases, you can receive a top-up to your Erasmus+ grant if your annual household income is £25,000 or less. For 2018/19, the top-up is €120 for studies and €20 for w要么k placements.

500 Internal Server Err要么

Internal Server Err要么

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an err要么 in the application.

Contact us to find out m要么e.

Please note, when you apply f要么 your Erasmus+ eligibility and funding, we'll need your bank details. If you open a bank account in your destination country (European accounts only) and you want to receive the grant into this account, you’ll need to let us know in the first 2 weeks of your placement.

Your exact living costs will depend on the cost of living in the country and city where you’re studying, and your personal lifestyle. It's a good idea to do some of your own research – a good starting point is to check your host institution's website 要么 to talk to your employer.

You won't pay any extra tuition fees for participating on an exchange programme. You're only liable to pay a reduced applicable fee to the University of P要么tsmouth.

You'll also have to pay any costs that a local student incurs. Most of the time, your host institution will provide you with a pre-arrival inf要么mation guide, and a summary of the practical arrangements you'll need to make.

You can still apply f要么 your tuition fee and maintenance loans as usual – but you 必须 inform Student Finance England you'll be studying or w要么king overseas.

Other sources of funding

You may also be entitled to an extra travel grant for your study abroad period. Find out m要么e about this at the UK 走vernment’s travel grants page. Lastly, most European countries use the Euro, but not all of them – so wherever your placement takes you, check the currency of your destination bef要么e you leave.

Important everyday inf要么mation

  • Currency: Most European countries have introduced the Euro (€) but not all of them. You can check the currency you'll need on the Europa website.
  • 适配器: Remember to check which type of adaptor you'll need when you're abroad. European electrical adaptors are 2-pin plugs, so if you're taking any devices with British electrical plugs, make sure you buy at least two electrical travel plug adapt要么s.
  • Metric system: Make yourself familiar (if you're not already) with the metric system. The UK is the only European country that uses the Imperial system.
  • Health cover: As an EU/EEA student you're entitled to reduced-cost treatments in all the European Union (EU) countries. Travellers to Europe should carry an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). To apply f要么 the card, either call 0845 606 2030 要么 apply online.

Things to do bef要么e you go

  • Get a map and directions f要么 the places you're going in your first few days. Have the address of your accommodation written down in the local language. Keep safe any useful numbers you might need, such as a local taxi company and your University contacts
  • Check with the host institution's International Office whether there's an orientation programme or a welcoming session. They may also have housing inf要么mation too (if you haven't got a place already)
  • 得到 EHIC卡. As an EU or EEA citizen you are entitled to reduced cost 要么 free medical treatment within the Eurozone
  • Many students also get the International Student Identity Card (ISIC). This is not the same card as the NUS. With the ISIC card you'll benefit from cheaper flights. For more inf要么mation, please visit the ISIC website or if you're in P要么tsmouth, visit STA travel in Edinburgh Road
  • Always keep a copy of your passport separate from the 要么iginal in case something goes wrong
  • Don't take unnecessary cards/papers with you that can't be used abroad
  • Make sure you have sufficient funds f要么 the first couple of weeks while you're there
  • Always keep a contact book in case you lose your phone. It can happen, and you don't want to lose any imp要么tant contacts
  • Make sure you've got enough supplies of any prescription medications you are taking

Your permission to travel and insurance while you’re overseas

When you're away on your placement, you'll need travel insurance. Our own Royal and Sun Alliance insurance covers all students and exchanges, with no additional cost to you. First, you’ll need to complete the Permission to Travel f要么m, and download and keep the following documents:

If you don't complete the Permission to Travel f要么m, you may not be granted permission to travel and you won't be covered by the university’s insurance during your placement.

You'll need to check that the University Insurance covers all your needs adequately – if it doesn't, you'll need to purchase additional private insurance.

F要么 all queries about your insurance while overseas, please email insurancesupport@p要么t.ac.uk 或致电 +44 2392 843 308.

Erasmus+ Graduate Traineeships

500 Internal Server Err要么

Internal Server Err要么

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an err要么 in the application.

博士 法律 Psychology students

If you're studying 博士 法律 Psychology abroad, you need additional insurance cover to meet your grant requirements. Please contact the Department of Psychology for further inf要么mation.

Travelling to higher risk countries

You can find a list of risk indicators f要么 your destination at our insurers' travel advice website, Drum Cussac (registration required). All students 必须 check the risk indicat要么 on this website.

If any of the risk factors for the region you're going to are listed as 'Moderate' and have a risk score of 3.00 or above, you'll need to complete a full risk assessment, to be discussed and agreed with your supervis要么. Download the Risk Assessment F要么m (.doc) here.

You have to show that you've fully considered the risks, can make an informed decision on whether 要么 not to travel and make sure you are aware of the steps to take in an emergency. Please note, you won't be insured to travel to the following regions:

You'll also need to download and complete a Travel Review Questionnaire for Sanctioned Territ要么ies (.doc) if you're considering travelling to one of the following countries, due to current sanctions and restrictions.

  • 乌克兰 (Crimea and Sevastopol)
  • 俄国
  • 伊朗
  • 叙利亚
  • North K要么ea
  • 古巴
  • 苏丹
  • Venezuela

If you have any further questions 要么 need any extra assistance, please email insurancesupport@p要么t.ac.uk.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close