Canada and international students sitting in a seminar

Applying from Canada?

Here's all the information you need to study with us

If you’re from Canada and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.

On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.

Entry requirements for students from Canada

If you're joining us from Canada, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.

We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:

Undergraduate courses

If you're interested in applying for a Bachelor's degree, you must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades. You will also need the following qualifications, according to your province:

Ontario Secondary School Diploma - Advanced level, with six Grade 12 U, U/C or M courses including grade 12 U English.

General High School Diploma with an average of at least 65 per cent in five acceptable Grade 12 courses.

British Columbia:
Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with at least five Bs (BBBBB) awarded in acceptable Grade 12 courses.

Diplôme d'Etudes Collègiales (DEC).

If you are from another Canadian province, please contact us for more information

You can also apply with:

A levels

  • Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
  • Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
  • A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.

International Baccalaureate

  • Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.

You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.

If you don't meet the entry requirements, you can do a foundation course atInternational College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.

Postgraduate courses

For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor's degree (Honours) with minimum 65% or GPA of 2.6 /4.

Some courses require higher grades. For entry onto our MBA International, students will also need at least 3 years' relevant work experience after graduation. Work experience is also required for several other postgraduate courses and many courses will require you to have studied relevant subjects. Please see our courses for more details.

If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme atInternational College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.


We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.

Find a PhD


You can apply for financial assistance from OSAP, which supports students at approved institutions outside of Ontario or overseas. The University of Portsmouth is an approved institution and our institution code is: PVCP.

If you would like more information, please contact:

Student Financial Assistance Branch

Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
PO Box 4500
189 Red River Road, 4th Floor
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6G9
Tel: (807) 343-7260
Web: //osap.gov.on.ca/


If you are considering studying LLB Law (or another Law degree) at the University of Portsmouth and are concerned about recognition from the Canadian Law Association, there are just a few steps you will need to take to ensure that you can practice Law on your return to Canada.

In your final year, you will need to register with the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA)  500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

You can either complete these courses through a Canadian Law School or through self-study with the NCA. The NCA provides the syllabus for you to study at home and holds tests four times a year. The tests are on a pass/fail basis. Please note that if you pass your British degree with lower than a 2:2 classification (i.e. less than 50% overall), the NCA will not recognise your degree.


We advise all applicants to seek advice and guidance from the professional body in Canada before enrolling on an Optometry or Pharmacy programme.


For further information please contact Pharmacist's Gateway Canada.


For further information please contact FORAC (Federation of Optometric Regulatory Authorities of Canada).

If you have any further questions about the above, please email kathryn.land@port.ac.uk.

English language requirements

When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.

We accept grade 10/60% or above in English on the Canada Secondary School Diploma (Ontario only, other territories will be considered), IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.

What to do next

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

 get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.

Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Canada, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.

Scholarships and Bursaries

As a student from Canada, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award and Chevening Scholarship. You can find more information about these on our funding page.

Representatives and agents

If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Canada:

Agents in Canada by city

Sands Educational and Career Consultancy Services

47 Second Avenue

Contact: Scott Fisher
Tel: (+1) 705-566-5821
Email: info@sandsconsultancy.ca

Website: sandsconsultancy.ca

Barclay Educational Services

Suite 312A
McMaster University Innovation Park
175 Longwood Road South

Contact: Jacqueline Barclay
Tel: (+1) 905-632-0999 / (+1) 888-632-0666
Email: jsb@barclayedu.com

Website: barclayedu.com

SI-UK Toronto

Suite 300, 150 King Street West,

Tel: (+1) 416 998 8532
Email: toronto@studyin-uk.com

Website: studyin-uk.ca

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close